• jessebaron6


BY Mary Walker Baron

Under United States copyright law your work is protected as soon as you put pen to paper or as soon as you start typing.  Copyright is based on your creative authorship and is not dependent on any formal agreement with a publisher.  However, and there is almost always a however, unless you obtained a government issued copyright you are at the mercy of anyone deciding to contest your right to the work you wrote.

Here’s how to obtain a government issued copyright.  Go to www.copyright.gov and scroll down to Supplementary & Renewal Registration.  Click on Form CON.  Fill out the form.  Print it and mail it to the address indicated on the bottom of the form.  If you send a check along with the form this whole thing will cost you $35.00.  If you use a credit card the fee goes up to $55.00.

Either way, this is a very inexpensive way to protect your writing from any legal challenge.

And on top of all that protection, you will receive a certificate indicating that your specified work is legally protected.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

by Mary Walker Baron I grew up on Arizona cattle ranches. Aside from our Post Office boxes we had no addresses. If someone wanted to find us they had to know how to get to us. And if they wanted to